Monday 26 August 2013

Chocolate Cupcakes

I love cake. I love sweet things. Ok I love food in general but sweet things in particular :) As you can see most of the recipes I post tend to be of the sweet variety! I don't usually bake cakes though, but yesterday I had a day off work and decided to try my hand at some cupcakes as a little afternoon treat :)
They turned out reasonably well, especially the violet buttercream icing! Heres what I did:
Ingredients:
100g Plain flour
20g Cocoa powder
140g caster sugar
1 1/2 tsp baing powder
pinch of salt
40g unsaltd butter
120ml milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla paste

Mix together the dry ingredients and butter using a electric hand whisk. In a separate jug, mix the egg milk and vanilla paste. Gently combine with the dry ingredients and beat until well combined.
Spoon into cupcake cases (this makes 12 cakes) and bake on gas mark 3 for 20 minutes or until a cocktail stick comes out clean when inserted into the cake.

Buttercream icing:
75g soft butter
125g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla paste
optional : food colouring

Beat the icing sugar and soft butter until well combined, You may need a tiny drop of milk to help blend together. Add the vanilla paste and food colouring. I used a ultra violet purple food colouring gel from Tesco. It was quite weak so I needed to use quite a bit even to get a faint purple tone.
Spread over the cakes once they are cooled. I topped mine with fresh blackberries and silver edible balls. :)
Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment